Labels

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Bake with Mexican Flavors

STILL working on all the squash we got from our CSA this fall.  I've saved the spaghetti squash for last because one of my kids is NOT a vegetable fan, especially when it's replacing his favorite "white" food - pasta.  But it's time.   I frequently make a Mexican flavored veggie soup to which I add the cooked squash to "beef" it up.  So why not try these flavors for the family? 

Verdict: Surprisingly DELICIOUS! My daughter loved it but I put in too much chipotle (2) for her delicate taste buds.  My son eyed it suspiciously and ate the bread that I added to this simple weekday meal.  He did admit that it smelled good.  My husband inhaled it.  I thought it was delicious.  So overall a success.

Mexican Flavored Spaghetti Squash Bake

1 medium to large spaghetti squash
1 cup cottage cheese
1 12 oz jar of salsa, drained of extra liquid
1-2 chipotle peppers minced
1 cup shredded marble jack
salt to taste
GF bread crumbs or panko crumbs, I use Kinnikinnick.


1.      Carefully cut squash in half lengthwise with a sharp knife.  Scrape out seeds and strings. Place squash cut side down on lined baking sheet.  Bake at 375 for about an hour.  The squash should indent somewhat when you poke it or a knife should pierce through it easily.  Scrape our stringy flesh when cool enough to handle.  Store for use later in the week or continue with the following recipe.

 

2.      Preheat oven to 375.  Gently fold remaining ingredients into cooked squash except bread crumbs.  (I actually didn't add any salt until serving since it was really flavorful even without.)
Pour into large baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Spray dish with cooking spray to crisp the crumbs if you would like.

 

3.       Bake for 30 minutes at 375 until bubbly.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment