Labels

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Adventures in travel planning: Using a phone in Italy

What I've learned today:
You can figure out anything with a little time and the Internet.  You may need a padded room eventually but if you're compulsive and stubborn, it will come to you.


So, fellow travelers, I'm way behind on my travel planning log for our 10-year wedding anniversary trip to Italy with children, siblings, parents and significant others. What? You're bringing who? 


Italy is just TOO GOOD not to share.


Finally having some uninterrupted time this morning, I set out to book the tours out of Rome.  I had found Odyssey-Tours which has several of the tours we were looking for at seemingly reasonable prices, polled the family and was ready to book when halfway through they asked for a phone contact in Italy.  Reasonable request, I guess.  I was going to work on the phone aspect eventually but like life, sometimes you just need a reason to keep moving forward.


I have a 4 year old Cingulair Pay-as-you Go phone.  Yes, I know that it's AT&T now.  Long story short, I had to call AT&T who gave me the unlock code so that I can insert an Italian Sim card when we get there.  I ordered the Sim card from Telestial.com and should have a phone number to give out in about 5 days.  (I'm crossing my fingers that this works, because I've never done this before.) It only comes with 5 of air time.  But according to many helpful posts all over places like fodors.com, slowtravel.com, initaly.com and on telestial's website I get additional minutes at any convenience store in Italy.


So, there you are.


My other accomplishment for the day was to facebook message our Italian friends (I hope.  It's been a long time.) to tell them when we will be in Italy.  Crossing fingers again.


I'm off in search of GF naan recipe to go with our chicken tikki masala tonight. If the kids won't eat anything else, at least they'll eat the bread. sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment